Finch Therapeutics Group, Inc. (Finch), a clinical-stage microbiome therapeutics company, announced today that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has issued six new patents to Finch covering its Full-Spectrum Microbiota (FSM) and Rationally-Selected Microbiota (RSM) product platforms. The additional IP includes:
- U.S. Patent No. 10,022,406 broadly covers donor-derived compositions. It is solely owned by Finch and provides coverage until at least 2031.
- U.S. Patent No. 9,962,413 broadly covers the use of screened, healthy donors in the manufacture of microbial therapies. It is solely owned by Finch and provides coverage until at least 2031.
- U.S. Patent No. 9,901,603 broadly covers lyophilized formulations of microbial therapies. It is solely owned by Finch and provides coverage until at least 2036.
- U.S. Patent Nos. 9,968,638 and 10,028,980 broadly cover microbial therapies delivered via oral capsules. These patents are exclusively licensed from the Regents of the University of Minnesota and provide coverage through at least 2032.
- U.S. Patent No. 9,962,414 broadly covers pharmaceutical compositions containing a plurality of Clostridium species. It is solely owned by Finch and provides coverage until at least 2021.
This IP is based on the pioneering research of Finch’s scientific advisor and co-founder, Dr. Tom Borody, and its academic collaborators at the University of Minnesota, Dr. Alex Khoruts and Dr. Michael Sadowsky.
“After more than 30 years of translational research developing microbial therapies for patients, I’m thrilled to see the latest additions to Finch’s patent estate which leave the Company uniquely positioned to continue to unlock the therapeutic potential of the microbiome,” said Tom Borody, M.D. who is a named inventor on 27 of Finch’s patents.
Finch’s industry-leading patent portfolio consists of 34 issued U.S. and foreign patents and more than 60 pending patent applications, which have broad applicability across the microbiome field. Reflecting the early leadership of its founders in building this field, Finch’s patent portfolio includes composition of matter patents with priority dates as early as 2000, the earliest in the industry. This broad estate covers both FSM and RSM products, with issued claims covering pharmaceutical compositions containing bacterial strains of the genus Clostridium among other important composition of matter and method of use claims.
About Finch Therapeutics Group, Inc.
Finch Therapeutics Group, Inc. (Finch) is developing novel microbial therapies to serve patients with serious unmet medical needs. Built on 30 years of translational research at OpenBiome, MIT, University of Minnesota and the Center for Digestive Diseases, Finch uses Human-First Discovery to develop therapies from microbes that have demonstrated clinically significant impacts on patient outcomes. Finch is unique in having both a donor-derived Full-Spectrum Microbiota (FSM) product platform and a Rationally-Selected Microbiota (RSM) product platform based on microbes grown in pure culture. Finch has an extensive IP portfolio consisting of 34 issued patents with the earliest priority dates in the industry and deep operational experience, including the largest stool donation program in the world, from which Finch manufactures approximately 1,000 microbial treatments every month. Finch’s lead program, CP101, is an investigational FSM product for recurrent C. difficile infections. Finch’s RSM platform employs machine-learning algorithms to mine Finch’s unique clinical datasets, reverse engineering successful clinical experience with FSM to identify the key microbes driving patient outcomes. Finch has a strategic partnership with Takeda to develop FIN-524, an investigational RSM product for inflammatory bowel disease. Finch is using a rich foundation of clinical data to advance its growing pipeline of FSM and RSM products, leveraging proof-of-principle results to evaluate target indications and inform the design of this new therapeutic class.
Full-Spectrum Microbiota, FSM, Rationally-Selected Microbiota, RSM, and Human-First Discovery are trademarks of Finch Therapeutics Group, Inc.